As i mentioned in a previous post, explaining different alternatives to work in a colaborative way when your company has employees all over the globe https://cloudvisioneers.com/2020/06/06/how-to-consolidate-data-for-small-branches-globally-and-work-together-with-few-investment-i/ , one of the best options in terms of simplicity to share data would be Azure File Sync as you can consolidate data for several file servers. But now as preview you can set up a whole sync folders strategy from Windows Admin Center to consolidate data from branches and head quarters on a file share with all the changes done during the working day.
The Azure hybrid services can be manage from Windows Admin Center where you have all your integrated Azure services into a centralized hub.
But what can kind of tasks can we do?
- Set up a backup an disaster recovery strategy. – Yes, you can define which data to backup from your file servers on premise to the cloud, retentions as well as determine an strategy to replicate your VMs in Hyper-V using Windows Admin Center.
- Planning an storage migration.– Identify and migrate storage from on premise to the cloud based on your previous assessment. Even more not just data from Windows file servers or windows shares but also Linux SMB shares with Samba.
- Monitoring events and track logs from on premise servers. – It quite interesting to collect data from on premise in a Log Analytics workspace in Azure Monitor. Then it is very flexible to customize queries to figure out what is happening and when is happening on those servers.
- Update and patch your local servers. – With Azure Update Management you have the right solution using Automation that allows you to manage updates and patches for multiple virtual machines on premise or even baremetal.
- Consolidate daily work from a distributed data enviroment without limitations on storage or locations. – You can use Windows Admin center to set up as we told before a centralized point for your organization’s file shares in Azure, while keeping the flexibility, performance, and compatibility of an on-premises file servers. In this post, we are going to explain this feature more in depth.
- Other features:
- Extent your control of your infrastructure with Azure Arc and configure it with Windows Admin Center so, for example, you can run azure policies and configure regulations for your virtual machines a baremetal on prem.
- Create VMs on Azure directly from the console.
- Manage VMs on Azure from the console.
- Even deploy Windows Admin Center in a VM on Azure and work with the console on the cloud.
Now we know some of the important features that you can use with Windows Admin Center, let´s focus on Azure file sync configuration and see how it works.
Let´s start downloading Windows Admin Center from here
Now after installing you will see the console using the url from local called: https://machinename/servermanager where you can browse information and details of your local or virtual machine and leverage lot of features to manage it.
If you click on hybrid center you can configure an account on your azure portal to connect to your azure suscriptions. It will create an Azure AD application from which you can manage gateway user and gateway administrator access if you want in the future. Therefore you will need to first register your Windows Admin Center gateway with Azure. Remember, you only need to do this once for your Windows Admin Center gateway.
You have two options,create a new Azure Active Directory application or use and existing one, on the AAD your choose.
To pointed out here, you can configure MFA for your user later, or create several groups with users for RBAC to work with your Windows Admin Console. Now you will have available several wizards to deploy the strategy it suits better to your business case.
Let´s start configuring all the parameters. Maybe it takes some time to respond, it is on Preview right now (april 2021).
Choose an existing Storage Sync Service or create a new one..
Prepare the Azure File sync agent as needed to be installed on your Windows Admin Center host machine..and hit on “Set up” button.
And now register your server on the “Storage sync service”..
We got to register our new server on Azure File Sync service on Azure to syncronize data on a file share with other File Servers localted all over the world.
In the next post we´ll configure the following steps to consolidate a global repository using this file share on Azure so all the employees, no matter where they work can be on the same page with the rest of braches and head quarter.
See you them..